After your endodontic surgery appointment, it is recommended that you follow these instructions:
- Some discomfort following your surgery is to be expected, take Advil or Ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours, for the first 48 hours unless contraindicated. Tylenol will then be advised.
- Antibiotics and other medications, if prescribed, must be taken as directed. Please report any drug reactions or discomfort immediately to our office.
- Some swelling and/or bruising after your surgery can be expected and is completely normal. It may peak in the first 48 hours, then gradually subside. In order to minimize these symptoms, apply an ice pack in intervals of ten minutes (ten minutes on, ten minutes off) for the first 4-6 hours. Sleep with your head in an elevated position for the first couple of nights after surgery.
- It is critical to keep the surgical site clean. On the day of your surgery DO NOT brush, floss or rinse your mouth at all. The following day, you may brush and floss all the areas of your mouth except in the immediate area of the surgery. You will receive a prescription for a mouth rinse to keep the surgical site clean. Use this special mouth rinse very gently twice daily for one week.
- Avoid hot food or fluids for 24 to 48 hours after your surgery.
- Refrain from smoking or drinking alcohol for 24-48 hours after surgery.
- No strenuous exercise or heavy lifting for 48 hours after surgery.
- Keep talking and facial movements to a minimum during the first day. Do not lift your lip or your cheek up to look at the surgical site. Do not push or touch the surgical site. This may induce bleeding.
- Keep food away from the surgical site. It is important to maintaining proper nourishment. Stick to a soft food diet for the day of and day after surgery.
Note: If your sinus was involved during surgery (the doctor and staff will inform you) please refrain from blowing your nose. Please use a nasal decongestant spray to prevent congestion. If blood is seen through the nose, this is not unusual and will subside within 48 hours. If excessive bleeding is seen, please inform the office.
Remember... If you have any questions or concerns regarding your treatment, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (604)-986-7668.